Sunday, October 23, 2005

Sorry Mr. Ed!

I had my first taste of horse last night. Horse sashimi. Sashimi is typically raw fish, which is delicious. But last night, chatting over drinks and other delicious food, I, my girlfriend, her brother and his fiancee, all partook of small slices of raw horse.

I had sworn that I would never eat horse. People ride horses, and whisper to them. How could I eat one!? But having already had a few drinks, my ethical inner voice was rambling incoherently, so I ate.

This morning, thinking clearly, I can try to rationalize my actions. In India, cows are revered, but in much of the rest of the world, cows are slaughtered and eaten constantly. In the West, dogs are man's best friend, but in China, some are raised for consumption. So, who cares? It's all relative. Different cultures have different histories and tastes. I don't think anyone can correctly argue that we shouldn't eat this or that meat.

Unless of course, you're talking about a McDonald's hamburger. I said "meat", not "meat filler substitute".

No comments: