Tuesday, March 18, 2008

DVD Recommendations

Recently, we thoroughly enjoyed two short-lived TV series and a movie, all starring many of the same actors and all produced by the same guy, Judd Apatow.

I'm going to introduce them in the order in which we viewed them, but feel free to watch them in any order. I'm not gonna be upset if you tell me you watched the newest one first, and then watched the middle TV series backwards. If that's what you feel like doing, then do that.

A few months ago, I read somewhere on the net that two of the greatest TV shows were Undeclared and Freaks and Geeks. I hadn't heard of F&G and I had been completely uninterested in Undeclared when it was first broadcast on television, because of an irrational dislike of the main character. (The fact that my parents had initially recommended it to me didn't help either.) Nine years had passed since its release (and subsequent cancellation) so my emotions were sure to have dissipated.


So we started watching Undeclared. We immediately fell in love with the show: the quirky characters, the storyline, the music. The setting made me think of my sister's residence at U of T. (I think you'd like the show a lot, sis.) I didn't relate too much to this series, but I thought it was great.


I strongly related to the next show, Freaks and Geeks, which was released a year prior to Undeclared. The reason I suggest watching F&G second, is that some of the characters are slightly more unsavoury than in the other show. Undeclared lets you warm up to some of these actors before seeing them as Freaks in F&G. This show revolves around a brother and his older sister going to high school right around 1980. This is just a touch before my time, but I still felt a strong connection to the show. The sister is intelligent and gets good grades, but she starts hanging out with the Freaks. The brother is short and thin, and he and his friends are labelled Geeks. They play with chemistry sets and Dungeons & Dragons. Looking back at my high school experience, I was a composite of these two characters, moving away from my "geeky" self and getting in with a "different" crowd. The acting and writing are top-notch and I strongly recommend renting the DVDs. (The show might be a bit nostalgic to the former highschool teachers out there too.)


The last recommendation is the movie "Knocked Up". This is like Freaks and Geeks, but fast-forward 10 years into the real world. The Freaks are portrayed here as a bunch of morons trying to start a website indexing all of the nude scenes from every movie known to man. The Geeks are simply the typical 9 to 5'ers, trying to live a "normal" life. It's a fun film, perhaps not so realistic, but worth a rental.

5 comments:

Gaijin Girl said...

Mom and I watched Knocked Up over Xmas vacation! (I actually liked it so much that I watched it twice -- in a row!!) Don't judge me... I had watched it first, before Mom, to decide whether or not it would be suitable for adults. I hated those guys at the beginning, but I soon warmed up to the main guy after he started dating the girl I love so much from Grey's Anatomy! :)

Oh, and I've wanted to watch both shows you recommended after my My So-Called Life DVD game them a thumbs up. Can you actually rent them in Japan???

Julie said...

You gotta start watching some other better stuff....like the ones I have been recommending : )heehee

Hysterically laughing as I read: " I had watched it first, before mom,to decide whether or not it would be SUITABLE FOR ADULTS." hahahahaha

Sean O'Hagan said...

@mom: we recently watched ocean's 13 (not bad), the flock (not great), freedom writers (great!), and sometime this week the last king of scotland (looks great). but, don't knock those tv shows until you try them. you recommended undeclared to me in the 1st place!

@kath: i didn't rent them. don't think they're available in japan yet. since they were cancelled, they may never be.

Julie said...

"The last King of Scotland" yes! yes ! yes !
Just teasing you about your other choices...kinda !

Anyway, I assume it is difficult to easily obtain the award winning movies there? or maybe not? can you rent "Rendition"? "Away from her"? "No Country for Old Men"?

Sean O'Hagan said...

It's easy, but we just have to wait for a while.