Friday, March 28, 2008

A bird on Mother's Day

Mother's Day is only a couple of months away, and I'm eagerly awaiting Seiyu's display this year. (Seiyu is a Japanese department store, which is now almost entirely owned by Walmart.)

Last May, the good folks at Seiyu decided to mount this display outside their store.


This was such a touching display of affection and respect, that my wife and I felt we had to talk directly to management about it. But not before snapping this cellphone photo.

I wonder what we can expect this year? Headless mooning mannequins? Child mannequin abuse? Or maybe a recap of last year?

Whatever Seiyu's (and Walmart's) plans, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

5 comments:

Gaijin Girl said...

All I can say is, Ha Ha!

Sean O'Hagan said...

Me too. Oh, and did you notice the blurry image of my finger across the bottom? A tribute to mother, I guess.

Julie said...

Well, we need to know what you said to the management and what they said back !!!!
Good lord !! This would never happen here! There'd be the "mother of all protests" ...pun intended !
I am happy to see you are thinking of mother's day already....how sweet of you.heehee.

Sean O'Hagan said...

In fact, management was contacted indirectly. The day after we spoke to a cashier, the mannequins had been changed.

Sean O'Hagan said...

(This is Yuu.) I saw a young man setting up the mannequins. He wasn't from Seiyu but he was perhaps a worker of the construction company which Seiyu hires for its display. He probably thought it was funny and I think he did it because not everybody knows what it means in Japan. I hope he was scolded and learned his lesson due to the "hand of Sean". It's disrespectful to gaikokujin for sure!
It's kind of embarrassing that some of our people don't know what they should and shouldn't do.
The young woman who we spoke to was very nice and she took it seriously and handled the matter right away which made us feel better.