Friday, March 14, 2008

A French Couple


A married couple joined our school last week. They are our first married couple, but what really makes them stand out is that they speak English with French accents. It's quite fascinating. It feels like I'm speaking to someone in Quebec or Paris, France. Sometimes they'll slip into French for connecting words like "donc" and "alors".

What's even more interesting is that they met in Chad, Africa. (Chad's official languages are French and Arabic. That's its flag above.) I believe they also spent some time living in France. So, their French is better than mine. But it's quite a good combination as I can understand both of their second languages and a little bit of their native one.

They might be around for long though since their work takes them back and forth between Japan and Africa. They work for NGOs operating in Africa although I'm not sure of their exact roles yet.

A la prochaine!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Very interesting !!!! So, they are improving their English with you? What are you teaching them ? How long are they in Tokyo? How old are they? Sugoi !

Sean O'Hagan said...

The man is my age and the woman is a few years younger. I don't think they know their schedule too far in advance, but it seems like they'll be here for a while. I'm teaching them general English conversation and trying to focus on their interests. It's quite an interesting class.

Gaijin Girl said...

Cool! I'm jealous!!