Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Delicious Desserts


A few stations away in Kokubunji (although most definitely not unique to this location), on the main floor of the shopping complex, is an area so lush with delicious-looking, beautiful food, it makes the eyes spin, and the mind reel. (I no longer correct my students when they use "gorgeous" as a food adjective.)

After snapping this pic, I was politely scolded by the counter woman. "No photos," she said. Thankfully, she didn't asked that I delete the photo, nor have my camera confiscated. Here is the evidence of the existence of these divine treats. I might have bought one had my hand not been slapped (metaphorically of course.)

This photo is actually from quite a few months ago, but it got lost in the digital piles of Kamakura and Ueno and Nikko pictures.

Be sure to visit my Flickr page and look at the highest resolution version of this photo. You could eat it!!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I REALLY REALLY miss the amazing presentation of foods especially on the bottom floor of department stores....I could just roam and try goodies there for days. Your students are using the right descriptive word, for sure. I want those desserts : (

Anonymous said...

Oishi sou! I can't believe your hand was figuratively slapped!! What's wrong with taking a picture of some desserts?

Sean O'Hagan said...

This particular area had a very 'high class' feel to it, and didn't have many samples (if any).

I guess the dessert design is a trade secret or something. Maybe Isetan sends spies to Saty or vice versa.