Monday, April 14, 2008

Utada Hikaru: Flavor of Life (宇多田ヒカル)

I'll give you a break from all the 90s stuff. Here's my current favourite J-Pop song (although the song is not so new). Yuu bought the CD when she was in Yonago and it's full of good stuff. This video has both Japanese and English subtitles so you can sing along. There are a few wee mistakes in the romaji subtitles.

What do you think?

[UPDATE: The English-subtitled version was removed, so this is now a differently-subtitled one.]



7 comments:

Julie said...

What a great voice ! I like this song, and I like the subtitles; I can learn some japanese this way too ne.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY !

Sean O'Hagan said...

I love her voice. Her range is impressive and her tone is unique. I'm going to post some more of her songs soon.

Gaijin Girl said...

I LOVE this song! Saikin chou hayatteru yo~! I was introduced to it a few months back in Junko's car... we used to listen to it often as we'd make the 40+ minute drive to Hosoya on Tuesdays. Great to see the translation!! I want this CD!!!!!

Sean O'Hagan said...

The middle part always gives me goosebumps; the section where she says Totsuzen.
I love this video, so simple yet so full of emotion.

Julie said...

Sean, Kathleen wants this CD !!!!

Julie said...

I just listened to this again, and watched the entire vid and followed the words. It truly is a GREAT song and she has an amazing voice and range!!! beautiful !

Sean O'Hagan said...

I think this CD is available at most music stores, and also possibly online at Amazon Japan. ;)