Thursday, February 07, 2008

Connections

Yesterday, I realized that I have arms-length relations with some interesting types of people. I know a famous kabuki actor. Through him, I could probably have the wildest parties with all of the other men kabuki actors.


One of my students' best friends is a geisha, and through her (along with wads of cash), I could probably have some pretty wild tea parties and shamisen concerts.


A few of my students have friends who are exceedingly wealthy, having maids and drivers, etc.


One of my students knows a celebrity, although I'm not yet privy to whom.



I've got to start working these connections, so that I can meet with all of these fascinating people, and stumble uncomfortably through broken conversations with them!

8 comments:

Julie said...

...and most importantly, introduce your mother and sister to them all....get working on these friendships yo!

Sean O'Hagan said...

Hahaha... you will definitely be invited to the kabuki party. But, I might keep the geisha to myself. ;)

Anonymous said...

kora!

Sean O'Hagan said...

I'm sorry "anonymous"! This was supposed to be humourous and ironic. I'm criticizing myself in this blog. I can't speak Japanese very well, but I should be able to. I need to study more, so that I CAN have interesting discussions with Japanese people. がんばります!

Anonymous said...

From a woman's perspective, I'm pretty sure that "anonymous" was getting angry at the comment made about keeping the geisha to yourself... no? :)

Sean O'Hagan said...

Isn't that what happens typically? I mean, do Japanese men invite their mothers to Geisha parties? I don't think so!

Julie said...

Doesn't "kora" just mean "hey!!" ? I guess I don't quite understand the "conflict" here? Isn't language fun ?

Sean O'Hagan said...

It turns out that "anonymous" was someone I know quite well...

"Kora" is like "Hey!"