Monday, February 25, 2008

Menko and other games


I learned about a Japanese card game called Menko the other day. I never played with Pogs which were hugely popular (and maybe still are) in Canada a few years ago, but the two games seem to be closely related.

In Menko, players throw cards on the ground, trying to overturn their opponents' cards, thereby claiming them. One of my students played this when s/he was young, so I'm not sure if it's still popular today.

I remember playing marbles when I was a kid, and also war (with regular playing cards). These games introduce gambling to kids at a young age. I remember winning and losing lots of marbles (not figuratively) every day. In fact, my marble addiction led me to perform my one and only act of shoplifting in a Hanmer, Ontario shopping mall. Shame on me!

6 comments:

Julie said...

One of the saddest and scariest things that I experienced when i went into Seiyu in Toyokawa was one of the main entrances had a HUGE area for kids and it all had to do with early intro to gambling!! I couldn't believe my eyes !!I don't even know how to describe it as we have nothing like it here.

Gaijin Girl said...

Those "game centres" are everywhere in Japan, and yes, I agree, they are basically training and preparing young kids for an adult life of Pachinko addiction. Kowai.

Sean O'Hagan said...

But we also have huge game centres in Canada. I used to spend tons of quarters on pinball and then video games. But you're right - I don't think the games in Canada have quite the 'addictive gambling' feel to them. (But I really can't say, as I haven't been in a Canadian game centre for eons. Have either of you?)

Julie said...

But the big difference is...regarding my example at the entrance to Seiyu, a family department store..you wont see that here. I can't imagine walking into a main entrance at Sears and being accosted by a HUGE area aimed specifically at young and very young children, in this way...at first, it looks all cute and pink and bubbly, but a closer look shows you what it is really about.(and I think, very loud and noisy too).Have a look when you visit Kath there.
Here, parents finally protested about all that candy etc aimed at kiddies as you go through the checkouts at grocery stores. But this does not even compare to what i saw.

Gaijin Girl said...

For the second time, this type of set-up is everywhere in Japan! We had the same type of game centres in the middle of department stores in Yonago as well. And I'm sure Sean can see lots of 'em in Tokyo. He doesn't need to come to Toyokawa to see it, Momma! Sheesh.

Sean O'Hagan said...

I think the difference is between "middle" and "main". In Yonago, I remember game centres in the middle of the dept. store, typically on an upper floor. But I don't think I've seen one at the main entrance.